Health & Safety Officer
Signing Bonus Available – Training Provided
Job Site Services (JSS) is seeking Health & Safety Officers to join our expanding company. JSS has expanded operations, with openings in multiple locations. We are seeking candidates for our Bay City and West Michigan location.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
The Health & Safety Officer is responsible for the implementation of the company Health and Safety Program. Reporting directly to the Health and Safety Director for program coordination, administrative responsibilities, and special assignments. There also will be an indirect reporting responsibility to Chief Operating Officer for whom he may work with from time to time.
In this role, the Health & Safety Officer is responsible for Health & Safety Plan/Program implementation, site safety inspections, assistance with safety reports, trend analysis, an inspection of personal protection equipment, and on-site safety meetings. Additionally, the Health & Safety Officer will participate in the Health & Safety program development and the implementation of a positive health and safety culture at JSS.
Work is generally performed in a combination of both the field and office. Normal working hours are 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Overtime and weekend work is required. Work may be performed at client job sites which may require travel and out-of-town overnight stays. The Health & Safety Officer must be available at hours required to manage the safety of field staff and project needs, outside normal working hours.
- Solid understanding and ability to drive behavior-based safety in an environmental construction/remediation organization and ability to create programs that support a 24/7 safety culture at all levels
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfort interacting with a variety of employees at all levels of the organization
- Ability to develop and sustain collaborative relationships throughout the organization
- Research and implement new safety regulations as they relate to the enforcement of the safety program.
- Ability to travel to various project locations.
- Assist management in developing uniform policies and procedures aimed at making company safety program and processes streamlined and consistent.
- Enforcement and implementation of company and employee safety procedures, policies, memos, and manuals.
- Assist in creating policies and procedures that increase efficiency and clarify processes and procedures.
- Assist with DOT compliance, and record keeping.
- Promotes safe work practices through positive reinforcement and leading by example.
- Safety equipment purchasing, maintenance, inventory and stocking, and employee distribution.
- Assist in drafting, developing, implementation, and updating Corporate Health and Safety Program and SOPs to comply with client requirements.
- Perform Safety Audits
- Accident and Incident Investigations and record keeping
- Follow-up and sharing of incidents, near misses, and lessons learned
- Create and manage the budget for safety program
- Ensure client or site-specific training, testing, documentation, and other requirements are understood and maintained
- Understand H&S requirements for all projects
- Improve, standardize, and streamline H&S program
Essential Requirements & Qualifications
- 10+ years of supervisory field safety experience leading teams in environmental construction and/or environmental remediation projects preferred.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Sciences or related field preferred.
- Safety Related Credentials – CSP, CRSP, CHST, CUSA, OSHA, MSHA or other preferred.
- Demonstrated success and experience:
- Leading and implementing Behavior Based Safety Programs
- Implementing awareness/branding campaigns and techniques to create and maintain a strong safety culture
- Implementation of progressive/proactive safety solutions throughout a large, complex organization
- Working with multiple business groups and managing/reconciling their diverse and sometimes conflicting priorities
- Able to pass a DOT Physical, pre-employment drug and alcohol testing as well as random testing
- Must pass motor vehicle record and background investigation
- Ability to lift, move, push, and pull up to 50 pounds infrequently. Occasionally, over 50 pounds with assistance.
- Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, (hearing) and to make the discriminations in sound.
- Ability to kneel and squat
- Ability to walk and stand for long periods of time
- Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions (hot and cold)
- Ability to climb
Salary/ Job Information
- This is a salary position
- Typical work schedule is between 45 and 50 hours per week.
- Pay is dependent upon qualifications and experience
- Full-time with full benefits
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Short term disability
- Life insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off